New 2024 Yamaha YZ450FX:
Following last year’s update to the YZ125X and YZ250X, Yamaha has shifted focus to the flagship of the Cross Country lineup for 2024 with an all-new YZ450FX four-stroke. Evolved from the benchmark-setting YZ450F motocrosser, the 2024 YZ450FX is designed to dominate cross country competition. Lighter, slimmer and more compact, with improved rider ergonomics, a revised chassis, a more powerful engine and next-generation Yamaha Power Tuner app all carry over directly from the YZ450F. Additional modifications tailored toward enhanced cross country performance include a wide-ratio transmission, larger fuel capacity, low fuel warning light, 18-inch rear wheel, side stand, skid plate, revised ECU and suspension settings, along with a 10mm lower seat height for increased maneuverability in challenging off-road conditions.
Changes for the new YZ450FX start with a completely redesigned four-stroke engine that’s lighter, more compact, higher revving and more powerful across the entire rev range. Updates include new exhaust and intake port shapes, larger diameter titanium intake valves, new forged aluminum piston, new cylinder body, crankshaft and balancer assembly, 500 rpm higher rev limit and a switch from wet sump to dry sump lubrication. The YZ450FX’s ECU settings are also tailored to suit the specific demands of cross country and enduro-style racing.
The all-new clutch design replaces the coil springs of the previous model with a new disc spring and integrates primary gear and basket into a single steel unit. The result is a more compact, lightweight and durable assembly with smooth engagement and excellent feel. A premium clutch cover employs a stylish geometric design that helps minimize scratching and lends a bold look. There’s also a new wide-ratio transmission featuring a tri-shaft layout making it lighter and more compact, with gear ratios optimized for cross country conditions.
Providing riders with the opportunity to fine-tune engine performance within their smartphone, Yamaha’s next-generation Power Tuner App is easier to use with more functionality. Engine mapping can now be made using an intuitive new “Quick Setting” slide bar. An all-new Traction Control System is controlled within the app, providing riders with three selectable levels of intervention: HIGH, LOW or OFF. There is also a new lap timer and handy bike set-up guides. Additionally, a new lightweight handlebar-mounted switch allows on-the-fly selection of two preloaded engine maps, one standard and one optimized for more extreme conditions. These maps can also be customized within the app.
A new chassis includes a completely redesigned aluminum bilateral beam frame consisting of more than 10 different aluminum components welded together. This provides the opportunity to carefully tune rigidity and flex characteristics of each component to ensure competition-level performance. The result is a better handling machine with lighter feel, improved bump absorption and increased traction, allowing riders to charge into corners with greater confidence.
Additionally, rider ergonomics are improved with a slimmer, flatter, more compact body including a more narrow fuel tank and front shrouds and a flatter, more rounded seat, making it easier for the rider to move and shift weight for enhanced control. The rider triangle is also improved with increased legroom between the seat and footpegs, and revised handlebar position for a more natural stand-up posture.
Maintaining the YZ450FX’s best-in-class suspension performance, the industry-leading, fully adjustable KYB® coil spring-type fork with speed-sensitive damping features revised settings and a new hand operated compression clicker for quick, toolless adjustments. The linkage type KYB® rear shock features specially tuned damping characteristics to match the new YZ450FX chassis. Revised settings also result in a 10mm lower seat height and lower center of gravity for improved handling and comfort in the type of tight, technical sections common to enduro racing.
The YZ450FX boasts a wide range of additional top-spec details carried over from the competition-tested YZ450F including push-button electric starter system with high-capacity ultra-light lithium-ion battery, rubber-mounted, four-position adjustable handlebar clamps, 1-1/8-inch aluminum tapered handlebars, new compact PVC handlebar pad, wide footpegs with new lightweight aluminum alloy mounting brackets and a quick-adjust clutch perch.
It all adds up to an exciting new entry to Yamaha’s Cross Country lineup for enthusiasts and racers who want competition-dominating performance straight out of the box.
2024 YZ450FX Features & Benefits
- The ultimate open-class cross country racer, the new 2024 YZ450FX is lighter, slimmer, faster and designed to dominate cross country competition
- All-new 450cc engine is lighter, more compact with increased power across the entire rev range and a 500 rpm higher rev limit and ECU settings tailored for cross country competition
- Ultra-compact 44mm Mikuni® throttle body ensures optimum fuel atomization while saving weight and improving mass-centralization
- More compact, lightweight cable-actuated clutch design replaces coil springs with a new disc spring for smoother engagement and excellent feel
- New tri-shaft transmission layout is lighter and more compact, wide-ratio five-speed is optimized for cross country conditions
- Revised Yamaha Power Tuner App is even more user-friendly with intuitive new “Quick Setting” slide bar, Traction Control tuning and additional new features
- Two-mode adjustable engine mapping allows on-the-fly selection between two tuneable engine maps via new handlebar-mounted push-button switchgear
- Redesigned aluminum bilateral beam frame with YZ450FX-specific front engine mounts provides just the right amount of strength and flex for the perfect balance of straight-line stability and cornering performance
- Slimmer, flatter and more compact body eases rider movement for better control, with improved rider triangle for enhanced comfort
- Revised, fully adjustable KYB® coil spring-type fork with speed-sensitive damping now includes hand-adjustable knob for toolless compression adjustment
- Linkage-type rear suspension features a fully adjustable KYB® shock with revised settings for enhanced performance
- A 10mm lower seat height than the YZ450F provides lower center of gravity for improved low-speed maneuverability
- Large 270mm front brake disc and 240mm rear disc, high performance Nissin calipers and aggressive pad material to provide exceptional stopping power and control
- Compact, lightweight push-button electric start provides effortless restarts
- High-capacity lithium-ion battery provides consistent performance and minimal weight
- Lightweight aluminum tapered handlebar
- Rubber-mounted four-position adjustable handlebar mounts reduce vibration
- Wide footpegs with new lightweight aluminum alloy mounting brackets
- Optimized for cross country with larger 2.1-gallon fuel capacity, low fuel indicator, 18-inch rear wheel, composite engine guard, sealed O-ring chain and a folding aluminum kickstand
- Premium Yamaha Blue graphics scheme is embedded to provide excellent durability and scratch resistance
- Advanced computer-aided wheel design shaves weight without sacrificing durability
- The 18-inch rear wheel comes laced in a three-cross-spoke pattern for improved impact absorption and feel
- Race-developed Dunlop® Geomax MX33 tires
The new 2024 YZ450FX will be offered in Team Yamaha Blue and will be available from dealers this October for $10,199 MSRP.
Additionally, the remainder of Yamaha’s Cross Country lineup including the YZ125X, YZ250X and YZ250FX return for 2024 with updated graphics and a new seat color.
Additional Returning 2024 Models
Along with the 2024 motocross and cross country lineups, Yamaha is also announcing the trail lineup featuring the TT-R230, TT-R125LE, TT-R110E, TT-R50E and PW50 will return with updated graphics for 2024.